Thank you to CIRP Survey Participants!
These students won the lottery for a MasterCard gift card after completing the 2015 CIRP Freshman Survey:
- Adriana Alvarez
- Mary Boyle
- Leora Calamaro
- Connor Carper
- Alyssa Coleman
- Bryant Collaguazo
- Alexandria Djokic
- Zachary Gorman
- Matthew Gross
- Calvin Waters
- George Lopez
- Arun Madhavan
- Vanessa Majula
- Stephanie Mayer
- David Mohammadi
- Guadalupe Reyes
- Taylor Sledz
- Racquel Washington
- Konrad Woo
- Flower Yang
Student Affairs Assessment
The Office of the Dean of Students (ODOS) Assessment provides individual evaluation consultation to the units in ODOS. We are dedicated to advancing student success through data-centered decision making. ODOS Assessment accomplishes this through several channels. We administer a set of large-scale studies on a regular schedule. Ad hoc projects, reports, strategic planning, and advice on research methods are also components of services provided primarily to ODOS units but also to the Division of Student Affairs.
Student Affairs Research Approval Process (SARA)
In an effort to reduce survey fatigue all surveys, studies, assessments, evaluations, or research involving University of Illinois students is to be registered with the Office of the Dean of Students through the Student Affairs Research Approval (SARA) process. This process is overseen by Dr. Belinda De La Rosa and approved by the Dean of Students, Kenneth T. Ballom. The following restrictions apply to all student data gathering on campus:
- Approval to release student emails for surveys must be obtained from the Office of the Dean of Students or from the Associate Provost for Human Resources (Elyne Cole) for faculty or staff information.
- Approval or exemption for the study from the campus Institutional Review Board is required.
- Full populations of any subgroups will rarely be approved and therefore strongly recommend consultation with Amy Edwards, Assistant Provost for Management Information or Dr. De La Rosa, Director of Assessment for the Office of the Dean of Students before submitting an IRB application.
- No solicitations can be sent out the week before or the week of finals.
- The Division of Information Management charges for creating lists of students or faculty/staff. However, charges will be waived for UIUC dissertation projects. See their website for details at www.dmi.illinois.edu/datarequests.htm.
- Requests from non-University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign researchers will be considered on a first-come first-served basis and limited to three studies on students and two studies on faculty or staff populations per semester. All the restrictions listed above also apply to these researchers. Documentation of IRB approval or exemption from their home campus will be required. Only representative samples will be provided to these researchers.
- Third party surveys must adhere to the Faculty Senate Policy governing electronic surveys and questionnaires established on September 8, 2012.
- UIUC Student Affairs and other campus units must submit a SARA form if any of the following conditions apply:
- Survey or study will involve more than 1000 students
- Survey or study will involve students to whom you do not provide direct services to
- Information will be shared with others on campus outside of your immediate unit
- Information will be shared off-campus (IRB approval is also required)
- Other Senate Policies to consider are that surveys (other than course evaluations) are not permitted the week before or the week of final examinations. Also, only two follow-up email reminders to students are permitted.
The Faculty Senate has adopted a new policy Governing Electronic Surveys and Questionnaires Directed to Students, Faculty Members, or Staff of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Please click the link below to see the policy.Faculty Senate Electronic Survey/Questionnaire Policy
What are the implications for Student Affairs assessments? Please click the link below to see these implications.Implications for Student Affairs Assessments