Emergency Dean Fund
Emergency Dean Fund
The Emergency Dean Fund is made possible by generous donations from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign alumni and supporters and offers very limited financial assistance to enrolled, degree-seeking students. The fund is available to provide one-time financial assistance per academic year to enrolled, degree-seeking students who are unable to meet immediate, essential expenses because of a temporary hardship related to an emergency, such as an accident, illness, natural disaster, recent job loss, or other unforeseen circumstance. It is important to know that due to a limited pool of funds, the situations that most often receive funding are those related to an immediate health or safety emergency. This funding does not have to be repaid, but is subject to financial aid rules and reporting.
In order to qualify students must:
- be currently enrolled in a degree-seeking program the term the emergency grant is requested
- have a temporary financial hardship resulting from an unforeseen emergency
- provide documentation to explain financial need
- have exhausted all federal student aid options (including student loans). Please note unwillingness to take out student loans does not constitute a financial hardship
- have remaining need based aid on the current year Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Academic standing and progress toward degree will be considered in the decision process.
Types of Covered Expenses
All covered expenses must be connected to a temporary hardship related to an unforeseen emergency. These expenses may be, but are not limited to:
- Safety related needs (changing locks, short term emergency shelter)
- Replacement of essential items lost by fire, theft, or natural disaster
- Medications or other health-related costs
- Essential utility costs (water, heating, electricity, etc.)
- Books or other school supplies as damaged or lost in a fire, flood, car accident, etc.
- Travel costs related to death or serious illness of an immediate family member as defined by the student code
Types of Expenses Not Covered
Expenses that are not related to a temporary hardship due to an unforeseen emergency are not covered by the fund. Typical expenses that are not covered include, but are not limited to:
- Tuition and fees
- Study abroad costs
- Non-essential utilities
- Parking tickets
If you wish to contribute to the Emergency Dean Fund, please click here.